Friday, May 27, 2016

Strasbourg - the Perfect Transition City Between Germany and France

I started my 3rd day in Stuttgart on May 13, but just slept in and ran a couple of errands before heading to Strasbourg.  With the Schnegen area, border crossings for me have been non-events every time I've been to Europe and, in this case, there was nothing that I noticed to indicate I'd passed from Germany into France. {TIP: Do not assume this will always be the case.  With the refugee crisis in Europe, there are countries that have stricter border crossings even though they technically offer passport-free travel to each other's citizens}.  My train was a French train this time and I realized that the two-level trains that run between countries actually do have power outlets (again, one per two seats though).  

When I arrived in Strasbourg, I headed for my room first to drop off my luggage, rinse off and to change - hauling luggage around is sweaty business on warm days!  I also had a lovely maxi dress I'd brought, but not worn because I wasn't certain when I'd have a day without a ton of walking nor had it really been warm enough for a summer dress.


I made my first stop at the tourism office for a 3 day pass that covered many of the things I wanted to see (virtually all) and the transit system; however, the woman told me that the rivers were too high to run the boats and the pass wasn't worth it without that . . . I must say, I appreciate it that she didn't just sell me one anyway!  She'd suggested a transit pass might not be necessary as everything is in walking distance for the most part (it is, assuming you don't mind 30 minute walks after walking all day long).  Considering I knew I'd be walking all day for site-seeing, I took the tram since you can buy a 24 hour pass for 4.30 Euro here (under $5)!  The tram stop nearest to Petite Europe stops right in front of a Protestant church, which I noticed was constructed in the front with rather unique large red stone blocks (I later saw these EVERYWHERE in Strasbourg, but it's the only city I've seen them in).  The rest was two different types of brick though!

On my way to La Petite France, I made sure to find the covered bridge as I thought I'd read that it was really lovely.  Um . . . well, I suppose it's interesting to see, but I'm not sure it was worth a special trip to see.  People were on top of it, so perhaps it is the views from the top that are spectacular?
I kept walking toward a small bridge and saw the first part of the Petite France I was expecting from the photos!  I later learned the cross hatching on the walls was necessary because the walls were cob and needed the support.  This was such a lovely place!
I walked to the next bridge and there was more!  Here, you can also see the towering old cathedral as well.  This is another place where you feel like you walked into a fairy-tale or a period movie!  It's no wonder the island is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
This area was really one photo op after another!  Every time you think you've seen the prettiest or most decorative of the Alsacien homes, you find yet another one around the corner!
I decided to stop off for a coffee (espresso) at a cafe just to relax and enjoy the day for a bit.  Plus, an afternoon espresso is just a French thing!
I admit I've fallen in love with some of the fashion here.  I found a dress that crosses at the bust, but it is sewn at an angle so it doesn't slide down during the day and it fits like it was made for me!  Having lost 20 lbs in the past year before France, I've needed new clothes, especially for work!  This brings me to my quest for shoes though - last spring/summer's shoes aren't up to another year, so I needed a nice dress shoe.  I found a lovely and comfortable pair in Strasbourg finally!

I'd wandered around long enough (so much for it being a low walking day) that I unexpectedly found myself near the old cathedral!

Since I had the time, I thought I'd head in.  It certainly wasn't like every other Cathedral - right away you notice the stunning inside of the rose window. 
You also can't help but see the brightly painted organ or the abundance of stained glass.
I had forgotten that I originally wanted to see this place because of the old astronomical clock until I ran into it in the very back.  I thought I'd read there was a small fee to see it and it would have been worth it as I've never seen anything quite like it!  It had paintings and scenes of life from the time, plus moon cycles, a globe - certainly worth seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment