Thursday, May 12, 2016

My Last Day in Germany - Time for Schloss Solitude!

By the second day, the fact that my hotel listed eggs and sausage, by which they meant cold hard-boiled eggs and cold cuts, was less appalling to me than the first day and I piled them high!  If I'm paying 7.50 Euro for this, I'm eating the highest protein breakfast I've had since I arrived in Europe!

I should also note that my phone is a global phone, yet it only worked in France for data.  When I tried to use a $10 travel pass in England, Berlin and Stuttgart it didn't work in any of them.  When I turned on mobile data, it should have shown 3G or 4G - whatever was available.  Instead, I could see just a letter with a slash through it and no ability to access data.  Bottom line - after the first time, I took screen shots of my hotel reservation and transit instructions.  The problem appears to be due to my phone popping up an alert after I first arrived asking if I wanted to allow data roaming charges, to which I said no.  I guess I was thinking that having an International plan meant I'd already agreed to certain charges and this was above and beyond, but it turns out that's not the case.


Today we headed to Schloss Solitude first.  Schloss Solitude was built between 1763 and 1789 as the hunting lodge and summer residence of Duke Carl Eugen.  Carl was apparently an important guy and Bach's "Württemberg" sonatas were dedicated to him.  The tours here only run once an hour and are only in German, but I mostly just wanted to see it.  At a glance, I noticed the same understated exterior style as Schloss Charlottenburg, which is much different than the ornate French castles.  They appear to be peacetime structures or were far from battle at least!

After confirming we understood the tour was in German several times and making sure we understood we could only leave the stroller and NOT the baby at the entrance (uh, I don't even want to know why that warning is needed), I carried little Ariana with us as Jen had tweaked her shoulder.

Since we were the only people on the tour, our guide decided to use her "school English," which was actually very good!  It was nice to get the tour in English and to learn Carl Eugen never actually slept in the fancy part of the Schloss - he snuck out through a passageway to the other building!  He was a great lover of music though and this was his music room.

When we walked in the room below, my jaw dropped.  You really have to see this place to get the full sense of it, but it was the receiving area meant to impress upon people how great and worthy of ruling he was!  The decorations include hunting and educational items.  Carl actually started a school for boys.  He also would have people here to dance, but no musicians!  Then, the panels near the roof would open and the musicians would be up on the second level. 
These photos aren't up to my usual standards, but in my defense, I was carrying a baby. ;-)  You're also not really supposed to take photos of the inside; however, I've never understood those restrictions - I think seeing a couple pictures makes people want to see a place for themselves!  I've never seen photos of somewhere and thought, "well, I've seen it now - guess I never need to go there myself."  I'm glad that I was able to take a couple of quick pictures at least.

The palace was full of illusions.  For example, this room was made to look like marble, but is actually stucco!

The design of this exterior staircase was critical as Duke Carl needed to be able to stand on it and look important while speaking. 
And one photo of the view.  Schloss Solitude was a summer hunting home, but Carl spent more time at a castle connected to this one by a long, straight road (still in existence).  He built that castle for his second wife after his first wife left him because he had too many mistresses (he fathered 11 children by them)! 
I kept meaning to ask Jen to take a photo, but forgot, so no pics from Munich or here . . . except Jen's son took this one of us after faking us out by taking a selfie instead - he's actually a pretty funny kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment